Back to school checklist

Wednesday, 7 September 2011


So, another September has rolled around and although I won't be going back to school it still has that air of anticipation and fresh starts. For me, and probably lots of other people my age, September holds that 'New Year' feeling much more than January because it's always the start of the academic year. New school shoes, pens and pencils, fresh uniform (if only midi skirts were in when I was at school; skirt length was a constant battle between the teachers and 99% of the student female population) and if you're lucky a nice new pencil case. And I know I'm not the only one that gets excited at the prospect of stationary! Well, even though I won't strictly be going back to school, I will be going back to uni for my third (and final *shudder*) year, so I will be indulging in some new stationary! I'm not sure whether my budget will be stretching to new clothes, especially with the daunting realisation that this time next year I won't be about to receive a nice little present from my dear friend Student Finance! But anyway, these would be my back to school essentials.


As you can tell, I enjoy the "classic schoolgirl" look. Kilts and mini skirts are staples, as are collars of all shapes and sizes. Add a makeshift bow-tie with ribbon and you'll look the picture of schoolgirl innocence. I especially like the colour combination in the far right look.

(1, 2, 3, 4)
For a bit of a twist, add a splash of bright colour or better yet, some leather - ooh how riske! Ok, so I probably wouldn't wear leather to school or uni but it's still a great take on schoolgirl chic, is it not?

For those who can pull off a midi skirt (read: not me because it would cut my already vertically challenged frame in half and I would look like a torso stuck in two tree stumps.) I love these two looks. Midi skirts are more serious than minis but not as dramatic as a maxi. They have a certain studious quality about them (nope, just me?) that says, I'm here to work but I'm going to look good doing it! What could be more perfect at this time of year. These two outfits are both very Autumnal too, yum.

(1, 2, 3, 4)

Obviously you're going to need a stylish way to carry all your school books and supplies in, and I've found the perfect satchel and backpack to take you through Autumn and Winter. Go for a polished look with a chestnut satchel, or casual with an earthy backpack.
(1 & 2)

But if you're far too sophisticated for all that schoolgirl nonsense (I know I'm not!) then the other way to do back to school this September is to bring out the chalk and go schoolteacher chic. Still fun, but just more grown up, and ever so academic. All these outfits need are a desk and a stack of books and you have the makings of a stylish day at work. These skirts are perfect for September when it's not yet bitterly cold but you need something appropriate for work or school. Wear with a blouse first for a smart and chic look and then with knits later on to keep you warm in those notoriously chilly classrooms!

(1 & 2)

(1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

And here are a few cute back to school essentials that make me smile. I mean, just look at those paperclips! I got back from Edinburgh on the 31st and then had to sleep for a week! As soon as I came home I got ill, which was inevitable really. My immune system isn't great as it is, so after a solid month of late nights, hard work and a small (not to mention damp) basement flat crammed with too many people, I had already resigned myself to the fact that it would hit me as soon as I got home. But I'm feeling much better now so I'm busy preparing for my last year at uni (eek!) and other stuff. I'm also having a love affair with Pinterest right now, it's kind of addicting! 

Thanks for reading,
Harriet

3 comments:

  1. I love this, especially the first four. I also really like your layout, very cute! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just ordered that tobacco coloured ASOS jumper. can't wait for it to arrive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the one thing I miss about being done with school for now- no more back to school shopping! Love those colored notebooks and I agree, pinterest is so totally addicting! :D

    star-crossed smile

    ReplyDelete

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design