An ending and a beginning

Sunday, 1 July 2012
So I've moved back home after finishing Uni and I can tell you it is a bizarre and bittersweet feeling! On the one hand all good things come to end, as the saying goes, but on the other hand I'm just not ready for such an enjoyable time of my life to end! Lots of people say that university is the best time of their lives, which pretty much means it's downhill from here...

No, I'm not that pessimistic, but I do think it was a very free and exciting time that I probably won't experience again, what with all the pressures and responsibilities of being an actual 'adult' you know. Ugh, adult. Well anyway, I like to think that I didn't waste those three years. I met some amazing friends, got experience doing what I want to do for the rest of my life by doing loads of plays and obviously spent a large proportion of time consuming vast quantities of alcohol. Oh yeah, and I did get a 2:1 which is what I went there to do, right? 

The end seemed to sneak up very quietly on me, I think partially because I was busy until the very end, but when it did we realised there were a few things that needed to be done before we left. I expect there are similar must-do student things in every city but we decided that we couldn't leave Bristol without going to the Clifton Suspension Bridge at night, which was hilarious. So we braved the rain with our hot chocolate and enjoyed the view. We also decided we had to jump in the fountains after our last night out at Mbargo, which was one of those ideas that seems clever at the time and then suddenly you're shivering like it's January and you're drenched in fountain water. It was amusing to see my housemate jump in and immediately fall under though. Then we ended our year with the annual Drama Grad Ball, which was a brilliant night. It's always fancy dress and this year the theme was superheroes and super-villains so I went as Poison Ivy from the batman films. My costume was a bit revealing and the ivy pretty much all fell off by about midnight but I did enjoy doing the make-up. I used those Lip Rock foils which I've always wanted to try and they were pretty good actually. I don't see when you could ever wear them except for fancy dress but I think they look really cool. There's me in the middle, I wonder if you can guess who everyone else is!
















I'm going to Edinburgh again this summer for the Fringe Festival, which is definitely softening the blow of leaving Uni, as so many of my friends will be there. This time I'm producing two Shakespeare's with one of my closest friends so I'm hoping it's going to be the best Fringe yet. Until then I'm not doing much as I can't go back to work until September because nowhere will hire me for a couple of weeks. But I'm trying to plan a holiday to Madrid with my Mum and brother, which should be nice. And I'm also going to see Gatz in London fairly soon, which I am so excited about as it's my favourite book!

I got a new camera for my 21st birthday so I will be doing some more outfit posts but I just got out of the habit of doing them and then suddenly it feels weird and self-conscious to be taking pictures of myself! But I do love my new camera, and I did used to enjoy it so I should really get back into that. In the meantime, here are some photos from a photoshoot I did for Epigram (Bristol Uni newspaper) a while ago. We did it in the creepy basement of my student house to give it a grungy feel. The models are Arabella Langley and Joe Alwyn and the stylists were Cesca Clayton and Lizzy Bullock. I did the photography and make-up. If I remember correctly the jumpers were all kindly loaned to us by Shop Dutty in Bristol.  















So although it is an end to one part of my life, I'm hoping the next part will be just as exciting and (hopefully!) rewarding. I have a year to work and do my own thing, hopefully direct some more plays in Bristol and possibly travel. I haven't had a year off from education before so this is a well-earned break in my eyes. And with all this free time I have at the moment I am spending lots of it in my newly re-organised, re-arranged and re-pimped room drinking what is possibly an unhealthy amount of coffee, reading books (for pleasure, not for studying, for pleasure! Who knew?) and watching films I have been meaning to watch for ages. Part of my degree was watching arty (read: wanky) sophisticated films and I think this led to me only watching rubbishy rom-coms in my own time. Whereas now I am actually watching and reading 'proper' films and books. Ok, and I may have also have rewatched season 4 of One Tree Hill - but in my defence it has a whole new resonance at this crucial turning point in my life. Yep, that's my story and I'm sticking with it! 

Night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design