An eventful week!

Monday, 7 April 2014
It's been a busy few days recently and this week is going to be the same. I think one of the most fun and challenging aspects of working in the arts is the instability and irregularity of work. It can be scary not knowing when the next job will be, but it also means I never get bored or complacent. If I didn't have a regular, stable job on the side I'm not sure I'd be able to cope as well; at the moment I have quite a nice balance of acting work and my other job. This past week and the coming week are pretty busy in terms of theatre work. Last week I was in a showcase of work at the Leicester Square Theatre, which was really fun and went really well from what I can gather. We had really lovely audiences on both performances, which was great because I think industry showcases can often be quite cold and unreceptive. 

After the first performance, which was in the afternoon, Jason and I went to Borough market, which I haven't been to for ages. I was mainly in pursuit of a chorizo burger, which are THE best. If you haven't had one, next time you're in the area I highly recommend them! But the guy had finished for the day so we browsed the market, trying lots of cheese and oils and all manner of delicious morsels. We bought a few things - some Italian sausage, yummy Bath soft cheese (like a strong, very creamy Brie - YUM) and figs. Then we bought burgers with stilton, relish and mustard and sat in the church courtyard.





I also bought some amazing ground coffee from Monmouth Coffee. Being a coffee connoisseur and all (yep, that's my new title) I was having a chat with one of the women who worked there and asking about the different types. I went for a Columbian coffee in the end, on the cheaper end of the spectrum. Some of them were £60+ per kg!! One day, one day I will be able to drink what I can only imagine is coffee infused with pure gold. Right now, my £7 coffee is more than a luxury! At this point Jason stole my camera and decided to take some 'arty' shots of chillies and things. They're quite good actually, but obviously he doesn't need to know that. 





After the second and final performance of the showcase on Friday I went out with the rest of the cast for dinner (and drinks... lots of wine) at a brasserie in Picadilly, which was great. They had a great Prix Fixe (ooh!) menu where you could get 2 courses for £8.95 or 3 for £11.95. Being cheap, hungry and in need of a celebratory dinner, this was perfect!

Last night I went out for my housemate's birthday. We found this little bar on Brick Lane with great cocktails, which I will definitely be returning to! 


This week I'm rehearsing two short plays that I'm co-directing. They're called 'Bunny' and 'Stacy' and are both written by Jack Thorne, who wrote the script for 'Let The Right One In', which is currently on in London. I've heard brilliant reviews so I'm definitely going to catch it at some point, he's a really great writer. I haven't directed since I was at Bristol, and obviously I'm focussing on acting at the moment, so it's interesting to go back to the other side of the stage. We're running for 3 nights at the Horse and Stables, Waterloo on the 13-15th April. If you're in London and fancy some culture then you can find out more and book tickets here.

Sorry this was more of a rambling this-is-what-I've-been-up-to post, I had a couple of other ideas for this week but I've been so tired when I get home I've had to leave it until now and I thought I'd share some photos of the last few days :) 

Harriet x

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design