Bookworm

Saturday, 12 April 2014
Since I've been on the tube quite a lot lately I have powered through several books lately. When I looked back on the books I've finished recently I saw that there was a very strong recurring theme of mental or physical illness in the books I read recently. Make of that what you will! I'm not sure if this was a conscious decision or not but I often find myself drawn to those kinds of books and films. 


  • The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer - 4 stars
  • The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - 4 stars
  • A Million Little Pieces by James Frey - 5 stars
  • Looking for Alaska by John Green - 3 stars
  • The Perks of Being A Wallflower Stephen Chbosky - 5 stars

I finished A Million Little Pieces in about 48 hours because I couldn't stop thinking about it. I know there was quite a bit of controversy over the book being billed as a memoir when it turned out portions of the book were fictional or not entirely true. It's very hard unless you know the guy personally to judge how far he took dramatic license with the book, and for what purpose. I don't know him, and it doesn't really impact my enjoyment of the book at all. I know apparently some readers felt lied to when they found out it wasn't entirely true. Although, considering the subject matter and the amount of time the author spent either blacked out or completely out of control on different substances, I'm surprised if he even knows the real truth of his own story. Either way, from my limited knowledge of the subject matter it felt like a pretty honest and unapologetic account of addiction, rehabilitation and responsibility for oneself. It's not an easy read, I felt quite sick reading a lot of it, but if it's the kind of thing that interests you I'd highly recommend it.

I'm about to start reading Paper Towns by John Green now. I hadn't heard of him until I read The Fault in Our Stars but I've read a couple of his books now and I like his style. If you want to follow me on Goodreads you can find me here. 

Today I had a hair fiasco. I dyed my hair because my roots were pretty bad but used a different dye to normal because they didn't have the one I normally buy. To be fair, they look pretty much the same shade on the box, and if anything I thought this would be a slightly more natural or toned down shade. No no. Now I have highly unnatural bright red hair instead of the coppery red it took me about 4 years to get my naturally brown hair to without bleach. There was a lot of swearing. I'm not going to lie, there were almost tears. After about an hour of sulking and being comforted by Jason (who prefers the new colour... yep) I did a bit of research and decided to try some home remedies. I think I've managed to lighten it slightly with a combination of baking soda, lemon juice and shampoo, but it's still a pretty bizarre colour. Basically, I'm sticking my middle finger up to Garnier and am never buying hair dye from them again! Hopefully it will fade relatively quickly. Either that or I'm about to start wearing hats a LOT more frequently.

Harriet x

2 comments:

  1. Interesting that you prefer The Fault in Our Stars to Looking for Alaska because I actually think it's his "weakest" book (relatively speaking because his writing is just always good) but funnily enough his most popular one. But maybe I just prefer Looking for Alaska because it was my first John Green. But unpopular opinion (I would think) here, my fave of his is actually 'An Abundance of Katherines'. :) Oh, and if you like John Green: Check out Melina Marchetta! Especially On The Jellicoe Road. Her writing makes me feel things. ;)

    Considering your hair: I've been there with wanting a nice natural colour and getting an unnatural red instead. On more than one occasion, actually. But I assure you: Every single time it turned back to the natural copper after a few washes! So, just have a little patience and all will be well again!

    And now you're probably disappointed it's just me again who is writing a comment. I'm sorry! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I'm not disappointed! It's lovely to have such a dedicated housemate/reader ;) Yeah, perhaps. Looking back I'm not sure I'd rate them the same again. I'm enjoying Will Grayson, Will Grayson at the moment and I've downloaded And Abundance of Katherines to read next.

    Yes, you told me about her before and I've got On The Jellicoe Road, just haven't read it yet! So maybe I'll read that next too! xx

    ReplyDelete

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design